Anxiety and worry can take over your life if you allow it to. Whether we like it or not, constant stress and worry can physically make us sick. The good news is that there are ways to help alleviate anxiety.
The first step is to figure out exactly what you're stressing about. Is it something you can change? Is it something you have no control over? By determining the root of your anxiety, you can better understand how you can overcome it.
For example, if you're feeling anxious about losing your job, you have the capability to change this worry. You can work harder to prove that you're an indispensable part of the team or you can start searching for a new job. Taking action is the surest way to defeat anxiety.
The truth is, there are plenty of situations in your life that you can change with some effort. For example, if you're concerned about your weight, the good news is that you can change it! You already know it takes a healthy diet coupled with regular exercise. Little by little, your weight will melt away and your health will improve.
By determining the root of your anxieties, and developing ways to turn them into something positive, you can often overcome them.
Here are some tips and techniques to help you manage your anxiety:
- Know your anxieties. Write down exactly what's causing your anxiety, then note down ways you can change the outcome. Knowing what you're up against is the key to feeling better about yourself and your current situation.
- Breathe. Once you've pinpointed the things you need to change, sit back and take a breath. This form of relaxation can help you calm your racing heart and give you peace of mind.
- Rapid breathing from anxiety can lead to a panic attack. Don't let it get that far. Breathe deeply and slowly as soon as you feel yourself become worried or anxious.
- Visualize. Perhaps one of the most effective ways to overcome anxiety is the technique of visualization. Choose a quiet space in your home, light some candles, and close your eyes.
- Imagine yourself in your ideal situation. Feel how calm you are and visualize letting go of your worries. Think about how happy you'll be once your source of stress has been diminished. Positive visualization can help you move toward the happier vision you've created in your mind.
- Use positive affirmations. When things get tough and you feel yourself losing control, repeat a positive statement over and over in your head. For example, if you're in need of a job, you can repeat something like: "I am a valuable and hard working individual who is worthy of a fulfilling new opportunity!"
- Reaffirming positive thoughts repeatedly can help you believe that anything is possible. The power of the mind is endless.
- Diet and exercise. Eating a well-balanced diet and exercising can physically help you handle stress and anxiety. The stronger the body is, the stronger the mind is. It's a fact: if you abuse your body with junk foods or drugs and alcohol, your body and mind will react in a negative way.
- Take good care of your body and it will help take care of your worries.
- Seek support. Talk to someone who has been in the same situation. Reaching out to friends and family or seeking professional help can do wonders to help you get rid of your anxiety.
- Once you've seen that someone else has gone through and overcome what you're experiencing, it gives you great hope that you, too, can do the same.
Anxieties are a part of everyday life. How you choose to manage them is what makes the difference. Stop letting anxiety control you. Take the reins and let anxiety and worries know that you are the one in the driver's seat of your life.